Scam FAQ: How To Spot A Scam
How Can I Tell If Something Might Be A Scam?
It’S Probably A Scam If Someone:
- Makes an offer that sounds too good to be true;
- Promises that you can win money, make money, or borrow money easily;
- Asks for money to enter a contest, win a sweepstake or lottery, or claim a prize;
- Refuses to send you written information before you agree to buy or donate;
- Refuses to give you a physical address;
- Refuses to give you the details of the offer before you make any payment;
- Requests your bank account or credit card number when you are not making a purchase with that account;
- Uses scare tactics or pressure to act immediately;
- Insists that you wire money or have a courier pick up your payment;
- Refuses to stop calling after you’ve asked not to be called again;
- Contacts you to ask for personal information the company already has.
- Gives you a check or money order and asks you to send some of the money somewhere.