SCARS|RSN™ SCAM NEWS: Another Senior Faces Jail As A Scammer Drug Mule
Grandad Faces Life In A Japanese Jail After He’s ‘Duped Into Being £1m Drug Mule
Source: The Mirror
A British grandfather faces a life sentence in Japan after being conned into smuggling drugs through an email scam.
Frank Rodway has already been locked up for six months after 2.1kg of amphetamines were found in his luggage when he landed in Tokyo.
The daughter of the 67-year-old says her dad fell into an elaborate con which began when he received emails saying he had inherited £8m.
Frank, from Salford U.K., was reportedly persuaded to fly to Mali to sign ‘important documents’ – and was then put on a plane to Japan where he was arrested.
Daughter Laura, who has spoken to The Sun, claims drugs were hidden in his luggage without his knowledge and that he has “never been further than Scarborough before”.
She said: “Nobody can believe it. He’s the sort of man who likes a pint, looks after his neighbor’s dog and loves his garden. My dad has diabetes and rarely travels.
“Now he’s being accused of being an international drug dealer.”
Laura told the newspaper she did not even know the retired plasterer had left the country until he sent her a text while on his way to Japan.
Shortly after she got a phone call from the Foreign Office saying he had been arrested.
It was when Laura checked her dad’s emails she found the communications from the West-African based gang.
The Sun reports that the crooks persuaded the grandad to fly to Mali from Manchester, via Morocco and paid for his flight.
The final email sent just before his arrest said: “By now you must have connected to Japan to complete your dealings and release your inheritance fund valued at US$10.5million.”
Japan has some of the strictest drugs laws in the world and Frank’s haul would have a value of about £1m on the street.
His family is now waiting for his trial in Japan however his Japanese solicitor speaks no English.
The U.K. Foreign Office said it was assisting Frank and his family.
A SCARS Division
Miami Florida U.S.A.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – END – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Tell us about your experiences with Romance Scammers in our Scams Discussion Forum on Facebook »
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
FAQ: How Do You Properly Report Scammers?
It is essential that law enforcement knows about scams & scammers, even though there is nothing (in most cases) that they can do.
Always report scams involving money lost or where you received money to:
- Local Police – ask them to take an “informational” police report – say you need it for your insurance
- Your National Police or FBI (www.IC3.gov)
- The Scars Worldwide Reporting Network HERE or on www.Anyscam.com
This helps your government understand the problem, and allows law enforcement to add scammers on watch lists worldwide.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Visit our NEW Main SCARS|RSN Facebook page for much more information about scams and online crime: www.facebook.com/RSN.Main.News.And.Information.Home.Page
To learn more about SCARS visit www.AgainstScams.org
Please be sure to report all scammers HERE or on www.Anyscam.com
All original content is Copyright © 1991 – 2019 SCARS All Rights Reserved Worldwide & Webwide – SCARS|RSN/Romance Scams Now & SCARS/Society of Citizens Against Relationship Scams are all trademarks of Society of Citizens Against Relationship Scams Incorporated
What SCARS|RSN Visitors Were Looking For
Latest posts by SCARS|RSN Romance Scams Now Editorial Team (see all)
- Conman Pretended To Be Mortgage Adviser To Defraud Nurses Of £100k – SCARS|RSN™ SCAM NEWS - April 25, 2019
- Japan – The Romance Scammer’s Heaven – A SCARS|RSN™ Guest Editorial By Catherine Saori Usui - April 25, 2019
- SCARS|RSN™ Scam Basics: Too Many Facebook Groups - April 25, 2019
- Two In Five Irish 18-24 Year Olds Being Used As ‘Money Mules’ – Is This True Everywhere? – SCARS|RSN™ SCAM NEWS - April 25, 2019
- UK-Gloucestershire Woman’s Warning To Others After Nearly Falling Victim To ‘Romance Scam’ While Playing Words With Friends – SCARS|RSN™ SCAM NEWS - April 25, 2019