Updated on by
SCARS|RSN™ Scam Basics: Pro-Daters
What Is A Pro-Dater?
This is a special type of scam. It is quite different from other types of Romance Scams for several reasons.
- These are real people – the women and men are real and will want to meet in person
- Most of the time they use their real names and real information
- They usually don’t ask money over the Internet BEFORE meeting, but might continue milking you AFTER meeting
- While visa-ticket and translation scams are illegal and scammers can be prosecuted by law, this type of scam is more amoral than illegal. There is no law that punishes women for gold-digging and dating many men or women for money.
Nevertheless, it is still a scam. In short, these women and men date foreign men or women just for money, gifts, and costly entertainment or travel. They have no interest in any relationship, though they claim otherwise in correspondence and use it as a hook. Sex may or may not be involved. In most cases, it is not involved. Many are actually married or have local relationships or families.
The Pro-Dater differs from other scams in the method of operation; a face-to-face meeting actually does take place in the scammer’s country or they may travel (at the victim’s expense) to another location, but for the sole purpose of manipulating the victim into spending as much money as possible in relatively little time, with little or nothing in return.
The scheme usually involves accomplices, such as an interpreter or a taxi driver, each of whom must be paid by the victim at an inflated price. Everything is pre-arranged so that the “wealthy” foreigner pays for expensive accommodation, is taken not to an ordinary public café but to a costly restaurant (usually some out-of-the-way place priced far above what locals would ever be willing to pay), and is manipulated into making various expensive purchases, including gifts for the scammer such as electronics and fur coats (these are then either re-sold or recycled for the next victim).
The vendors are also typically part of the scheme. After the victim has left, the merchandise is returned to the vendors and the pro-dater and their various accomplices take their respective cut of the take. As the pro-dater is eager to date again, the next date is immediately set up with the next foreigner.
The supposed relationship goes no further, except to inundate the victim with requests for more money after they return home. Unlike a true gold digger, who marries for money, a pro-dater is not necessarily single or available in real life.
Where Do Pro-Daters Operate?
Most Pro-Daters operate out of Eastern Europe and Asia, however, they also exist in Latin American countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Belize, Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Venezuela. In Europe, they are most common in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus (and other former Soviet Bloc Countries), Romania. Be especially careful with the Philippines as this is also ground zero for Professional Real Scammers.
How to avoid Pro-Daters?
Simply insist on making your own arrangements. Stay at major hotels when traveling. If you get objections from the other person this is a major red flag that you are dealing with a Pro-Dater that is in it for the money!
Learn More About Pro-Daters:
- How To Recognize Professional Asian Pro-Daters
- Nine Tips on How to Identify and Avoid Ukrainian Pro-Daters
Pro-Daters represent a different kind of challenge from regular romance scammers and it is important that they be reported since reporting can be significantly more effective since they are using their real names.
Report All Pro-Daters to:
- Always report all Pro-Daters on this website here » or on www.Anyscam.com »
- Report them to the FBI (www.IC3.gov)
- Report them to the U.S. Department of State and USCIS
- Report them to your country’s Embassy in the scammer’s country – this will help prevent them from obtaining visas.
Other Reporting Options:
A SCARS Division
Miami Florida U.S.A.
TAGS: Pro-Daters, Real Scammers, Eastern Europe, Asia, Latin American Scammers, Brazil, Mexico, Belize, Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Venezuela, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Romania, Philippines, Professional Real Scammers,
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – END – – – – – – – – – – – – – –