SCAMMER CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION
When you connect with a stranger, look at their profile with a critical eye.
Look for the RED FLAGS
If you see any, walk away! Don't try to explain it away. Just go!
WALK THROUGH THE PROFILE
It is important that you look before and after accepting a friend request.
You will be looking for "Out Of Place Artifacts" - odd things, inconsistencies, something inappropriate for this person.
You will be looking for what is not there too!
Remember, scammers are sloppy and frequently reuse profiles.
Even if the profile is clean, absences and inconsistencies give them away.
- Name & Nickname
- Profile photos (any hint of other names)
- How many photos
- Where do they work
- Schools / Studies
- Live now / used to live places
- Contact info
- Family relationships
- Verified Profile [little green check mark - famous or official people have this]
- Friends list
- Their Followers
- Music & Movies & Books
- Timeline posts - type and quantity, and gaps in time
- Look at the language used - is it consistent for this level of person / nationality
- Look at the language setting - English (UK) or English (US)
Finally, always do a name search to see if there are more profiles with the same name using the same face.
A real person will not immediately give you access to their world, but when you get in expect it to be well populated. A new profile is something to hide, even a real person may have something to hide, either way it is a major RED FLAG.
A word about wing-men or women
Always have a friend check out a new contact for you as well. Different people see different things, and can be more skeptical about strangers. If you don't have someone check them out, what are YOU trying to hide?
Latest posts by Romance Scams Now Editorial Team (see all)
- Don't Make A Disaster Worse! - August 27, 2017
- BREAKING NEWS: Scammers Arrested In Ghana - August 26, 2017
- ANTI-SCAM ALERT: 140 Million Scammers On Facebook - August 23, 2017
- General John R. O'Connor - Do You Know This Soldier? - August 23, 2017
- Angela Lorenza - Do You Know This Girl? - August 23, 2017