Many dating sites have added verification features to help site members feel safer about scammers.
Unfortunately, it does the exact opposite.
There are tons of FREE phone numbers and on-line services for on-line texting purposes out there, such as http://receive-sms-online.com/
These services allow scammers to “verify” a phone number that they don’t own, to receive verification codes. This “verifies” them to the site, and then broadcasts that they are a verified member.
The result of this is individuals become more susceptible to scammers because they believe that these verifications mean something that they do not.
So be warned, just because a profile is verified, does not mean the person has been!
Always look for the warning signs, and treat verifications as just another way scammers get past our defenses!
Latest posts by Romance Scams Now Editorial Team (see all)
- Reporting Romance Scams: Why Survivors Often Don’t - January 15, 2018
- HATE MAIL - January 6, 2018
- FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION OVERTURNS OBAMA ADMINISTRATION - December 27, 2017
- Phone Support - December 26, 2017
- Christmas - December 25, 2017