Updated on by
OFFICIAL U.S. GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT: Joint Service Sextortion Brochure
This document provides guidance for U.S. Servicemembers on blackmail exploitation from Sextortion and is useful for others as well.
To Avoid Falling Victim To Sextortion
- Refrain from engaging in sexually explicit activities online, such as posting or exchanging compromising photos/videos.
- Adjust social media privacy settings and accounts to limit information available to unknown persons.
- Exercise caution when accepting “friend” requests or communicating with unknown persons online.
- Avoid advertising or discussing U.S. military and/or U.S. government affiliations.
- Turn off electronic devices and cover webcams when not in use.
- Safeguard your personal banking and credit card information from unknown recipients.
- Update antivirus software and avoid downloading apps, files, or email attachments from unverified sources.
- Trust your instincts – perpetrators are highly sophisticated and able to trick their victims into a false sense of security. If you have suspicions about the person you are communicating with, cease contact with them.
The following two tabs change content below.
Romance Scams Avoidance Education & Scam Victims' Assistance & Support Organization at SCARS|RSN™ Romance Scams Now™ is a division of the Society of Citizens Against Relationship Scams™ [SCARS]
SCARS|RSN™ RomanceScamsNow.com™ is the official knowledge and victims' support publication of the Society of Citizens Against Relationship Scams™ Incorporated [SCARS]™ It is edited and published by the SCARS|RSN Team, a division of SCARS. SCARS is the world's leading anti-scam charitable nonprofit nongovernmental organization, based in Miami Florida U.S.A. Its founder has been involved in combating online fraud since 1991. SCARS™ - the Society of Citizens Against Relationship Scams Inc. is a charitable nonprofit nongovernmental organization (NGO) dedicated to advocating victim's causes and changing government and law enforcement attitudes toward online fraud for good! Please join us in becoming a member of SCARS - it's free! Add your voice so that the world will listen at last - just go to www.AgainstScams.org. The SCARS|RSN website and all of our publications (including social media) are maintained by our own staff employees and volunteers to provide you the most up to date information about scams & scammers from around the world. We show you how to avoid them or recover from them. SCARS is the only registered online crime victims' assistance & support organization in the world. Be sure