Listen To This Article - A Short Ad Pays For This Service
SCARS™ Support: U.K. Victims Compensation
Did You Know That Crime Victims In The U.K. Can Apply For Compensation For Being The Victim?
OF COURSE, YOU HAD TO REPORT IT TO THE POLICE
What service the police provide to you is set by the Victims Code of Practice. Under this code you have specific rights, which include;
- The right to be kept informed about the progress of your case by the police.
- The right to hear when a suspect is arrested, charged, bailed or sentenced.
- The right to apply for compensation.
- The right to make a Victim Personal Statement to explain the impact of the crime.
- The right to apply for extra help when giving evidence in court if you are vulnerable.
- The right to be told when an offender will be released.
- The right to information about taking part in restorative justice schemes.
- The right to be referred to victims’ support services.
If you feel that your rights under the Code have not been met, then you can complain directly to the police concerned.
How Victims Of Crime Can Apply For Compensation
If you’ve been the victim of a crime that’s left you injured, or with lost or damaged property, you can apply for compensation. Depending on the crime, there are two different ways you can seek compensation.
Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme
If you’ve been physically or mentally injured by a violent crime you can apply for compensation under the UK government’s criminal injuries compensation scheme. This type of compensation can be awarded whether the offender has been caught or not.
If an offender is convicted of a crime against you, the court may order them to pay you compensation. This could be for a range of reasons, such as:
- personal injury
- pain and suffering
- losses from theft or damage to property
- losses from fraud
- losses from time off work
- medical expenses
- travel expenses
To find out about court-awarded compensation, please contact the officer in charge of your case. They’ll give you more information and make the application for you.
U.K. City of London Police Victims Code of PracticeUK Police VCoP-booklet-1
Other Police regions have similar options for victims. Check with your local U.K. police state for details of available compensation programs.
TAGS: SCARS, United Kingdom, UK, Police, Victim Compensation, Code of Practice, City of London, ActionFraud,
PLEASE SHARE OUR ARTICLES WITH YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY
HELP OTHERS STAY SAFE ONLINE – YOUR KNOWLEDGE CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!