Updated on by
Obiechina Chikeluba of Lagos Nigeria Arrested
A Federal Science and Technical College student named Obiechina Chikeluba has been arrested for scamming a United Kingdom woman of £54 000 in a love/dating scam.
Name: Obiechina Chikeluba
Alias: Lisa Jackson
Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arrested Obiechina Chikeluba, aged 21, for allegedly defrauding the complainant, Kieran Oakes.
He met and scammed the victim on the social networking site Facebook, sometime in 2013.
The suspect, using the assumed profile of an American, Lisa Jackson, entered into a relationship with Oakes, with the pair agreeing to get married, it is reported.
In the course of their relationship, ‘Jackson’ at various times collected money to the tune of £54 000 from Oakes, to enable him travel to the UK to meet her.
After an endless wait for her “fiancé”, it dawned on the Briton that she had been conned, and consequently petitioned the EFCC.
Operatives of the commission arrested Chikeluba, who is a student at the Lagos-based institution, in a sting operation in Lagos while attempting to collect a parcel sent to him.
“He will appear in court as soon as investigation is concluded,” Wilson Uwujaren, EFCC Head of Media and Publicity, said.
Latest posts by SCARS|EDUCATION™ Editorial Team (see all)
- SCARS™ Insight: Coronavirus Grandparent Scams - April 9, 2020
- SCARS™ Psychology of Scams: Why You Can’t Stop Looking At The Stolen Face - April 8, 2020
- SCARS™ Coronavirus Scam Warning: A Social Disease – How Fraudsters Adapt Old Scams To Exploit The Coronavirus Crisis - April 3, 2020
- SCARS™ Psychology of Scams: Confirmation Bias – Letting Your Desires Control What You See! - April 2, 2020
- SCARS™ Scam Warning: U.S. Stimulus Check Scams - March 28, 2020