Happy Valentine’s Day
As Valentine’s Day Approaches, BBB Says Beware Catphishing Scams
Catphishing is a common romance scam, that usually leads to the victim sharing personal information or sending money directly.
The Better Business Bureau explains that catphishing involves a scammer pretending to be someone they are not on an online dating site or social media.
The scammer will usually ask to chat with their victims using an outside email or messaging service so as to not be tracked by reputable dating sites. The fraudsters often claim to be local, but out of the country for work or travel. The BBB says they usually get your money by making up an emergency like a sick relative or stolen wallet.
Often these catphishers can be spotted by the stock image used as a profile picture.
BBB officials urge caution when starting an online romance. For more information, visit bbb.org.
Latest posts by Romance Scams Now Editorial Team (see all)
- SCAMMER URBAN LEGENDS – Chapters 3 & 4 - December 6, 2017
- About Our Petition - November 18, 2017
- Happy Thanksgiving - November 18, 2017
- ASEAN anti-cybercrime declaration calls for united front - November 16, 2017
- Europol Releases New Report - November 15, 2017