WATCH OUT FOR PRO-DATERS
Local Romance Scammers
The pro-dater differs from the other romance scams in their method of operation; a face-to-face meeting actually does take place in the scammer’s country but is devoted solely into manipulating the mark into spending as much money as possible in relatively little time, with little or nothing in return.
This is most common to Eastern Europe, and specifically the Ukraine.
The scheme usually involves accomplices, such as an interpreter and a taxi driver, all of which must be paid by the victim at an inflated price.
Everything is pre-arranged so that the “wealthy” foreigner pays top dollar for accommodation, is taken not to an ordinary public café but to the most costly restaurant (usually some out-of-the-way place priced far above what locals would ever be willing to pay), and is manipulated into making various expensive purchases, including gifts such as electronics and coats.
The vendors are typically part of the scheme.
The mark (victim) leaves just as alone but poorer at the end of the trip.
The merchandise is returned to the vendors, the pro-dater and the various accomplices pocket their respective profit.
As the pro-dater is eager to date again, the next date is immediately set up with the next wealthy foreigner.
However, the relationship goes no further, except to inundate the helpless victim with requests for more money after they return home. Unlike a gold digger, who marries for money, a pro-dater is not necessarily single or available in real life.
Latest posts by Romance Scams Now Editorial Team (see all)
- RSN™ Special Report: First Official Sakawa Scammer Church Opened In Ghana [Video] - October 21, 2018
- RSN™ Guide: What Does Recovery Mean For A Scam Victim? - October 21, 2018
- RSN™ Insight: A History Of Spam [Audio Podcast] - October 20, 2018
- RSN™ ScanTV: Major Motion Picture From Spike Lee – Nigerian Prince [Video] - October 20, 2018
- RSN™ Insight: Amateur Anti-Scam Group Distributing Fake News - October 20, 2018