One of the great challenges of being a victim is losing control.
It seems like the scammers control everything – your thoughts, your actions, your emotions, and your reactions.
However, as time goes by, you learn more about what happened to you.
You learn to understand your reactions and let go of the negative responses.
Partly this is by learning about who and what scammers really are. It is a process of discovery and desensitizing yourself to their presence.
The more you learn, the more you can avoid them. And by the very act of avoidance, you regain control.
This transition from being a victim to a survivor is all about regaining control in your life.
When you can determine what you respond to or react to you are in control. When scammers are just an annoyance, instead of a panic, you are in control. When you just block them out of habit without a second thought you are in control.
When you are in control you are a survivor. And no scammer is going to rule your life ever again.
This is not an easy transition but it does happen in time. Just recognize that you learned this the hard way but the hard way is better than no way!
Congratulations to all of you who learned this the hard way. When you break a bone the repair is stronger than the rest. You are or will be stronger too as a result of this.
Stay strong and keep learning because your friends and family will need your support if this happens to them. You are now the beacon in the darkness that can help lead the way!
Former RSN Employee
October 17, 2016
Latest posts by Romance Scams Now Editorial Team (see all)
- RSN™ Special Report: First Official Sakawa Scammer Church Opened In Ghana [Video] - October 21, 2018
- RSN™ Guide: What Does Recovery Mean For A Scam Victim? - October 21, 2018
- RSN™ Insight: A History Of Spam [Audio Podcast] - October 20, 2018
- RSN™ ScanTV: Major Motion Picture From Spike Lee – Nigerian Prince [Video] - October 20, 2018
- RSN™ Insight: Amateur Anti-Scam Group Distributing Fake News - October 20, 2018