DO YOU WANT TO SAVE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
HERE IS AN ANTI-SCAMMER EXPERIMENT
For this experiment you will need:
- A NEW GMAIL ACCOUNT – Go to gmail.com and create a new Gmail email address
- A NEW FAKE FACEBOOK ACCOUNT – Create a new Facebook account using your new Gmail address – share a couple of things from other pages so you have a couple of posts in your timetime, and use a fake graphic as your profile image – we suggest photos of puppies or kittens.
- Find your original profile and send a friend request so you give access to your real profile and all of your friends and family. This will also let you see what others can see in your profile.
- Flip over to your real profile and accept your Friend Request
- Go back to your new fake profile
- Send Friend Requests to all of your real friends and family from the fake profile!
- See how many actually accept the friend request.
Results & Conclusion:
Every one of your friends and family that accepted the fake profile friend request could already be a victim of a scammer because they accept friend requests from people they don’t know.
You don’t have to tell them the fake profile was you. You can tell them that they accepted a fake profile as a friend, and what if it had been a scammer or worse.
Talk to them about what this means, and that when they accepted the fake as a friend they gave the fake access to all of their friends too!
Help them understand how dangerous fake profiles are, and how to protect yourself from them.
This is especially important if children accepted the fake friend request.
YOU have to do more to fight against scammers and one way to do that is help your friends and family understand the risks. Educate them and warn them.
We would love to hear how this went for you? Please share your results!
Miami Florida USA